Friday 27 March 2009

40::31 Food for the Journey




Well, I hope I'll be forgiven for showing the reality of our breakfast table - thankfully I'm the one with the camera! But as I sat there in my usual pre-10 a.m. fog, I found myself thinking about what sustains me. And of course, this being Lent and everything, we are looking to be sustained spiritually, hence some decent breakfast reading matter. But it also being a particularly foul March day, and looking forward to welcoming a friend from L'Arche, I also thought about good everyday food, which keeps us going and sticks to our ribs...(not thighs, I hope...ahem). Breakfast was a good starter - as ever, Perfect Bread, toasted. Today's had a few dried cranberries and chopped brazil nuts in. I threw some into the dough of one of our loaves during the last baking. And if I say so myself, it was very nice. Good for when there might not be any jam, or when you're being good and not eating cake - two sad occasions indeed.



There was a bit of reading on the other side of the table too - a shared interest in some beautifully drawn French manga.



And later on, for our guest (and many guests), some very simple flapjacks, enriched with a few healthy goodies. A friend asked me for a simple recipe to make with children. This, I think may be it. It is my tried and tested, throw-in-the-oven-in-5-minutes, drat-I-forgot-I-said-I'd-bring-baking, recipe. Perfect too for lunchboxes, picnics and journeying. And if it all crumbles it makes superior cereal, with yoghurt. Sorry, I'm making myself hungry! Here goes:


250g oats

150g butter, marg or vegan spread, whatever takes your fancy

75g golden syrup

75g sugar

25g each of some of the following: raisins, dried cranberries, ready to eat dried apricots, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes etc.

Preheat your oven to 175 C/350 F/Gas 4/165 fan oven.Grease and line an 8"x 8" cake tin. I find it's good to just cut a bit of baking paper to line the base and extend up the sides about halfway to get them out easily.Melt the butter, sugar & golden syrup together. I usually do this in a pyrex jug in the microwave, on full power for 2 minutes, but you can do it on the hob in small saucepan, stirring all the time.Then just mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl and add the butter mix, stirring everything together. Slap into the cake tin and bung it in the oven. That's it. They will be ready when nicely browned on top. About 25-30 minutes (20 for a fan oven). Remove from the oven and cut in squares in the tin. Allow to cool - if at all possible...

I wanted to post another recipe, one of our best ever dinners, which has my youngest consuming loads of vegetables quite happily - truly a miracle, but right now it's obvious he just wants to get on and eat it! I hope you enjoy your dinner too!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment