Friday 18 September 2009

Mushroom Magic



I'm just getting over a swift dose of flu and feeling a bit out of shape, but not even that can stop me from enjoying this time of the year, there are so many wonderful things to find outdoors. Lots of crafty folk love the shape and colour of mushrooms and we are no exception, even my youngest can't go for a walk without pointing out almost every one that he sees. So, our little walks can take quite some time. Mushrooms are everywhere in our local woods, in the most extraordinary colours.



We are happy to just look and enjoy, but my beloved is a good Frenchman and forager of fine things, so armed with a pile of mushroom books, he has taught me how to identify some edible varieties. This year we have hit gold - a big crop of Chanterelles.

We have been enjoying them with earthy Puy lentils, generously seasoned with garlic, parsley and lemon, or as a deluxe filling to an omelette. Aren't they the most beautiful colour?

Anything interesting to eat in your neighbourhood? Any suggestions for cooking our treasures? I'm sure there will be another mushroom hunt this weekend...

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment