Sunday 12 July 2009

Now we are Six

School holidays start, and naturally, after weeks of sunshine, it instantly starts raining. Non-stop. For a week. Oh joy! However, nothing can dampen a birthday celebration and even the weather cheered up a bit too. Now at the grand old age of six, my boy really knows how birthdays work. First request was breakfast in bed (our bed, so everyone could fit in). Only a bit of chocolate spread on the pillowcase... And some very specific present requests...

"Mum, can you make me a SamSam costume?"


"Mum, can you make me a knight costume?" And a cosy velvet cape with a furry collar - wouldn't mind one of those for myself actually. Goes with the quiver that was also requested recently...

Naturally a superhero/knight needs a quest. And some friends to help. So after a bit of shield decorating, face-painting and dressing-up we headed out in search of dragon eggs - left carelessly all around the woods...

We got attacked by a not very friendly dragon hiding in the heather - it got enthusiastically bashed! Just as well, it had lots of goodies in his belly...

Peace restored, it was back a bit of cake. Despite my love of all things homemade, I have to say I find birthday cakes a bit daunting, well, the fiddly ones anyway. This one was no exception. Especially as the electricity was due to be cut for several hours the morning of the party, and I found myself manically trying to beat the icing whilst throwing cocoa powder everywhere, as I realised I only had 3 minutes in which to take a shower! Still it worked out fine, I got my shower, the cake was very chocolately and the kitchen is almost clean....

The party finished with a peaceful campout in the garden, a nice bottle of wine for the grownups and a cosy campfire. And the sun even came back out for the weekend.

Posted by Picasa


No comments:

Post a Comment