Thursday 21 March 2013

Pysanky Making


Although I would love to get out to the garden and start clearing the way for spring growth, the weather has been pretty horrible recently, so at weekends I have spent some happy times playing around with eggs. Pysanky Eggs are a Ukranian folk tradition. Eggs are decorated using a batik style, with wax and layers of dyes. A finished egg can be kept for many years.

The hardest part is controlling the flow of wax. Traditionally the tool used is a kistka, and these are readily available on the internet. However, what I have to hand is a batik pen, given to me a long time ago. It is similar - a wooden handle with a metal nib and reservoir. Some beeswax pellets are put into the pen, which is held over a candle flame until melted. Then you draw the pen over the egg, in whatever design you like.

 I found this helpful book at a jumble sale just before Christmas. It has lots of helpful tips and wonderful drawings of traditional motifs, as well as descriptions of Ukranian Eater customs. I also found this site very helpful - a great introduction to Pysanky. There are some some good colouring pages too.

It is lovely seeing the pattern and layers of colour build up. The instructions help you to build up to complex geometric patterns but there are also many traditional folkloric motifs which draw from nature, and are more freeflowing.


Finally you melt off all the wax and get the big reveal! This is the exciting part! And addictive too...


A friend recently challenged me about the pagan origins of egg painting, but as I thought about it, not only are these eggs lovely objects in their own right, they are, in the words of Jerome Berryman 'real Easter eggs...the eggs were trying to say with colours and words what had happened that day'. If Christ is in the business of making all things new, then I think that can apply to our art and celebrations as Christians too.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, they're gorgeous! We've been so busy with Pysanky that I haven't written many blog posts lately.: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to express my gratitude for taking the time to read this fantastic book!!! I truly appreciate every part of it and have you bookmarked to come back and read more of your blog's content. I'm excited to present a fantastic piece about BSL Shaders Minecraft, which completely transform the look of your Minecraft world. I hope you love this shader set as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le joli site contient vraiment des choses ici, mais si vous voulez convertir un fichier dans n'importe quel format, voici un site appelé fusionnerPDF Le format est pratique pour enregistrer des fichiers qui ne nécessitent pas d'édition mais qui sont faciles à imprimer et à partager. Si vous avez tendance à modifier un fichier protégé par copyright pour cela, consultez ce site fusionnerPDF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obrigado por este site. Eu aprecio seu trabalho. muito bom eu tenho um site que muda sua fonte no Insta, Facebook, Snapchat, e outras redes sociais se você quiser mudar seu nome de usuário Visite letras

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for providing such great information, like it very much your writing skill is very nice totally appreciated. here I'm also gamer and here I would like to share with you some interesting site if you wanted to see then click here desmume

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful! the way you create just impressive love it very much here please visit here cnds emulator ios

    ReplyDelete